THE FIRST PENNY OF AUSTRALIA (1911)

1911 Australia First Bronze Penny
This coin will be kept as a good remembrance because it was given to me by my long lost in contact classmate from class 5 Arts 3 of Sekolah Tinggi Port Dickson (STPD), Negeri Sembilan.

Mr. Lim Kok Onn, was my classmate in 1978 & 1979 (Form IV and Form V) in STPD. On the day of our Malaysia Numismatic Society Auction No.161 which was held on 28-9-2014 (Sunday) at our Museum Negara, he came to attend the auction with the intention of getting to know me, Dickson Niew. He was not aware that I was his classmate although he has visited my Blog and facebook very often.

When he approached me and introduced himself, I shocked him by calling out his full name. We were so happy to meet up at an unexpected venue and occasion. He infect, was ready to give me a piece of counterfeit Singapore Cockerel Merchant Copper Token, he knew I like to do research. Because I was very busy with my duty in the MNS Auction, I personally invited him to visit my Dickson Niew Collection at Subang Jaya.

Today, he came to visit me, we had lunch and had a good chat about numismatic. He gave me another coin of his collection, the first  "Australian" Penny, which I would like to share with you.

This was the first year (1911 AD) that bronze coins were issued for Australia. It was called the Commonwealth Series. One Penny and halfpenny denominations were struck at the Royal Mint in London. Of special significance is that 1911 Penny coins were the first "Australian" Pennies.

Description:
A bronze coin, (30.8 mm diameter with plain edge) featuring a crowned and robed bust of George V facing left; around, GEORGIVS V D. G. BRITT: OMN: REX F. D. IND: IMP: ; below bust in small lettering the artist's initials B.M.(Sir Bertram Mackennal).
The reverse features, within a circle of beads, the words ONE PENNY in two lines between upper and lower ornate scrolls; around the circle of beads, COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA . 1911 .

Dimensions: 31 mm (Diameter)
Weight: 9.345 g (Weight)
Denomination: 1 Penny
Obverse Description: Crowned and robed bust of George V facing left; around, GEORGIVS V D. G. BRITT: OMN: REX F. D. IND: IMP: ; below bust in small lettering the artist's initials B.M.

Reverse Description: At centre within a circle of beads, the words ONE PENNY in two lines between upper and lower ornate scrolls; around the circle of beads, COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA . 1911 .
Edge Description: Plain

Inscriptions:
Obverse: GEORGIVS V D. G. BRITT: OMN: REX F. D. IND: IMP:

Reverse: ONE PENNY COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA 1911

Shape: round

Material: Bronze

Issued By: HM King George V, Australia, 1911

Mint: Royal Mint, London

Artist: Sir Bertram Mackennal

0 comments:

Post a Comment